A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Niki says:

Summer here in Australia and managed to get my hands on a “slushie machine” or frozen cocktail machine… Am planning to use this recipe for the machine – I suspect I will be somewhat intoxicated for my birthday!

A hint for those of you who dont have an electric juicer and for those that do… If you ‘zap’ the fruit for a few seconds in a microwave before cutting and juicing more juice is released – or just roll them a bit on the bench first…

Thanks for the recipe! I can feel the hangover coming along!!!

• Peggy says:

OMG!!!! These were the best ever! I made up a gallon for our Christmas Monopoly Party and they were a huge hit. In fact, everyone wanted the recipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you for publishing your recipe.

And after reading all the comments, I went out and bought an electric juicer, which was so worth it. I will definitly make these again.

• April says:

I have had a ball reading all of these…but what I need is a suggested alternative for the fresh limes and lemons. I am looking to make these for a part of 75-100 people…so hand squeezing is out of the question. What can anyone recommend???

• jmaaan says:

Just found your site looking for Sazerac and holy sh*t, I may spend the entire weekend reading through. I’m actually feeling like there is something wrong with me, I shouldn’t be this happy about finding a good alcohol related site. I may need counseling. But in the meantime….I’ve got a question before I make a couple of gallons of these baby’s this weekend.

Myers lemons, as you know sweeter and less tart than some other varieties. Would you adjust the recipe at all? Or would you suggest I don’t use Myers (got a tree in the backyard) or a mix?

Thanks!

• Ethan says:

Peggy, I was thinking about using my electric juicer as well, but I wondered if the juicer will make the lime juice bitter from the skin of the lime. I hardly ever use a juicer, so I don’t know how it will effect the outcome of the taste. Let me know your experience with that – I’m excited to make my first gallon of margarita. It never seems to be enough. Thank you Jeff for posting this recipe. Seriously, I feel like I just had a life altering moment – very enlightening :sweetness:

• jmaaan says:

Ethan, I used an electric juicer and the response was great from my guests. However, I personnally tasted the faint bitter taste of rind from the electic juicer. I probably was overzealous in my desire to get all the juice out, but with that much juice required, it makes it hard not to. I think next time I’ll either leave some of the juice unextracted, or use a manual juicer.

• Jessie says:

Jeffrey! My roommates and I made these for Cinco de Mayo, but we halved the recipe because there’s only 3 of us (although I’m sure that hasn’t stopped some people from making the whole gallon). They turned out great! Thanks for your recipes!

• Stacy says:

What quantity of Cointreau should I use for your recipe?

• Don from Seattle says:

Jeffrey, I tried your recipe yesterday for my birthday party. I love margaritas, but my old recipe was too sweet. I made the batch to your exact recipe with only a minor change. While making the simple syrup, I added 2 cut up habanero peppers. Strain the peppers out after the syrup cools. Continue recipe as directed. Margarita tastes the same, but now has a warming sensation in the back of the throat when swallowed. People seem to love it, although they can’t quite figure out what causes that heat.

Thanks again for the recipe!

• Lance says:

Jeff, Does the store bought liquid “Margarita Mix” already have triple sec in it? Also, when you referred to the recipe earlier in this blog you said to use “Sweet and Sour” mix. Please clarify. Thanks.