A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Thanks, Paul! I’ll be making the Jasmine for a group of thirsty people in Seattle tonight, though not in bulk.

Hope to see you in Portland sometime soon!

• ritu says:

Hi Jeff
    Wow the recipe sounds delicious and am planning on making 2 gallons for the new years party.
    quick ques, I want to make blue margaritas..
    so should i replace the triple sec w/ blue curacao or split it half and half or does it change the lime/lemon ratio too?
    Please help…only 3 days left
    Thanks
    Cheers to 2009!!

• Kevin says:

If i make a gallon of this mix, how long will it last if is not gone? A few days, maybe a week?

• Scott Langer says:

Just stumbled across your site and, though I’m not much of a drinker anymore,excepting the occassional American craft beer or three, found myself wishing I had the ingredients for a REAL margarita. My preference is for using only lime juice,nad then Mexican (Key) limes if available. It’s a pain to juice those things but well worth it, IMO.

I would like to say that Agave nectar is primarily fructose, higher in fructose concentration than HFCS; from my readings fructose is responsible for lots of nasty health problems, such as Matabolic Syndrome, Insulin-resistant (Type-II) diabetes, and a host of other disorders.

Killer site.
    Peace, Scott

• Paul Harrington says:

I have had people freeze this mixture for 3-4 months and defrost when needed and they were fine.

• Brandi says:

O my gosh you are a SAINT… I am having a lot of people over next weekend and I was so afraid I was fixing to have to sit down and do the math of how much Tequila, limes and other juices to put in a Gallon for Margaritas, thank God i found your site, you just saved me a lot of time… I will come back and let you know how they turned out… anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thanks
    Brandi

• Beth says:

Jeffrey, my boyfriend and I have made these margs a number of times. They can be costly and take a bit of effort, but they are hands down the best margaritas I’ve ever had, let alone made! After visiting Rick Bayless’s restaurant last month we decided to try it with blood oranges, and they turned out just as fantastically as I hoped they would! Thank you so much!

~From Missouri with much love!

• TheBean says:

Giddy UP! I am have a Margarita Mixer this weekend and I’m going to try the bulk recipe. It will give me more time to play hostess..and well…drink.

I don’t know that I’m gonna be too happy squeezing all that fruit though. I think I might need to do a shot or two while squeezing.

• Gina says:

What is a GOOD sour mix to use? AND does it replace the lemons and limes?
    HELP!

• Dan in DC says:

Was great. Made three gallons of the margaritas (tinkered with the sweet variable a bit). I feel I owe you for sharing your expertise this way. Is there any way I can contribute to the upkeep of the site or to you? All the best, Dan