A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• S&D in LA LA Land says:

So we made your Margaritas for a party this weekend and as expected they were a HUGE hit! However, we made too much and it wasn’t a heavy drinking crew (I know, crazy huh). Anyway, we have almost a gallon pitcher of these fabulous Margaritas and don’t want them to go to waste. Looked onthrough all your posts and didn’t see anything about freezing. Will it just kill it if we freeze a batch? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question. And after ALL that lemon and lime juicing – ughh!!!!

• Paul Harrington says:

I have had clients freeze them for up to six months and they were just fine.

• Vanessa says:

I want to add ice to the mixture to make blended margaritas. How much ice do I use to make 1 gallon?

• amanda says:

another july fourth and i will be making another batch of these – as requested! YUM. but oh – i am NOT looking forward to all that juicing.

• Melissa says:

We are serving margaritas at our wedding reception this weekend. I’d love to make your bulk margaritas but how can I alter your recipe to make them “Blue”?? How much Curacao would I use?? Would that be in place of the Triple Sec??

• Hawaii Paddling Wife says:

These margaritas are FANTASTIC! I asked around for margarita recipes for a crowd and got lots of concoctions using beer, limeaid, etc. I am a margarita snob so those would not do! This recipe will become a standby in my house.

Just FYI – they are so delicious that they go quickly. My dinner guests polished of the gallon in 25 minutes. Granted they were a bunch of 20-something men, but even if they’d been 30-something housewives like myself, I think that gallon would’ve been history pretty quickly. Next time I’m making two batches(or more!)

• Genelle says:

Jeff, your recipe is perfect. I made a batch on my own last year for 20-30 friends and it needed tweaking. My friends enjoy the cadillac margaritas. Any suggestions on making this by the gallon?

• Fitter Stoke says:

Hey Jeff –

Looks swell!

Two questions:

1) Can you break this down to a recipe to make about 1 or 2 margaritas so I can give it a test drive before I go huge?

2) Do you ever use agave nectar, and if so, would you just replace the amount of simple syrup?

Thanks man!

• Stacy Fletcher says:

Thanks for the recipe, excited to try them! How long do these keep in the fridge?