A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Terry in FL says:

Hello,

I made your Gallon of Margaritas for our taco bar party last weekend.

I did tweak the recipe slightly, upping the lime juice to 3 cups and reducing the lemon to 2 cups, mixed with Patron Citronge and Sauza Gold.

People are still talking about them 5 days later. They were SO good.

I did hear one thing over and over though, that they were a little on the strong side.

If I reduced the tequila to 5 cups, would you recommend replacing the missing cup of tequila with the other ingredients or just leave it out and run with it?

Thank you for the great information. You’ve ended my 10 year search for a great margarita recipe.

Terry

• sahm24 says:

I’m going to attempt this recipe for my husband’s surprise 40th next weekend. Can I make the recipe ahead of time and freeze it in the gallon jugs for 1-2 days? That way I can hide them in the basement freezer, and he won’t see them in our refrigerator and wonder why I’ve made so much.

• Cheryl says:

Jeff.
    We are having a cinco de mayo bash with about 30 people.. Could I make ahead of time and freeze in gallon containers? They sound delish.

• Cheryl

The general consensus has been yes, you can freeze them if needed.

• Randy Chong says:

Hey Jeff,

Love your website. Would you recommend a high end, low crap, or medium tequila for margaritas? I fear that using a high end tequila (aged?) would just be wasted in tequila rather than enjoying neat.

BTW, are guest bartending in LA anytime soon?

• Barbie says:

Thank you so much for this recipe – and thank you for putting the time, effort, taste testing, measurements, kid sister comments, out there for all of us looking for an easier way, as I’m sure this recipe didn’t happen instantly. I will use fresh citrus, I have always used Grand Marnier in lieu of the triple sec. Looking forward to the challenge of making them. I’ve never met a margarita I didn’t like or a bottle of tequila I didn’t like for that matter, we cut our teeth on it here in Tucson.

• Robb says:

I know what I will be taking to my tailgate parties to both the Zac Brown and The Jimmy Buffett concerts next month.

I made 2 quarts just to try them out. They are very good ritas but they will sneak up on you.

I wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge on here.

• Chris says:

Help,Help, Help…I am borrowing a commercial frozen drink machine that you put 1 1/2 gallons of mix in. I have bought 750ML of Jose Cuervo bottles and 1.75 liters of Jose cuervo margarita mix. How much of each do I use for 1 1/2 gallons? I am terrible with measuring and ratios..please help.

• Chris says:

• Sam says:

Jeff,

Grand Marnier in a Margarita. Your thoughts?

S.