A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Gee says:

Grand Marnier in a Margarita is sometime called a gold cadillac or golden margarita…delicious!

• Federico says:

Jeff,

Can I use all limes instead, or will this affect the outcome?

I need to make this tomorrow morning…

thanks,

• abby says:

hi, I just stumbled on this post & was thinking the same thing as the last person posted.Can i use all lime juice instead of lemon.In texas it’s a definate no to add lemon to margarita’s.A bartender i knew once just said lime juice,triple sec & simple syrup plus ice. Could never get that balance right..any thoughts?Thanks.

• abby says:

plus tequila, lol, who could i forget to write that? Thanks jeff

• belle from tx says:

I want to use this recipe at my baby shower and I was actually wondering the same thing abby asked… Just limes?

And if I don’t have a juicer, and I have to do it by hand…. What about the particles, leave them in, or is there a way to make it pulp free?

P.S. I won’t be drinking at my shower, calm down everyone…. Lol just for the guests.

• Fede says:

I tried this recipe both ways,

I made 2 gallons, one with the original recipe and the other with all lime juice. The taste is pretty similar but the acidity is higher in the all lime. The lemons provide sort of a balance to that acidity making it easier to drink.

Jeff, you made me look like a Pro, your margaritas were awesome…

Thanks

• I was going to say that; limes contain more citric acid than lemons do, so in order to make this recipe balance you would need to use more sugar. I’m sorry that I don’t know how much more, but it’s not an impossible thing to figure out. When the drink tastes good, you’ll know it!

• abby says:

Belle, i’ve even used a fork in place of a of a reamer in a juicer pinch once(juicer was broken),(takes a while but it can be done!) & pour the juice through a strainer.Roll your limes on the counter with your hand , before cutting in half so they’re easier to squeeze the juice out of.
    And jeff should i use less lime juice if using all lime juice instead of lemon & lime? Thanks.

• TODD says:

Hi Jeff, Sorry if you already answered this, but i have to ask. not for myself because i drink regulars, but how would i go about using this recipe if i wanted to make strawberry margaritas? would i omit anything or just add strawberry mix or something else? thanks

Sounds like a great recipe, ill know more later tonight 🙂

• Lee says:

Hi Jeff,

What is the recipe to make just one margarita?

Thanks!

• Anthony says:

Jeff,

I made 3 gallons of this for a pretty serious fight party and I have to say they were awesome… so good in fact it made up for the crappy party. I must also commend the strength because it is hard to find a strong drink with flavor and this is def it.

THANKS