A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Geert says:

Sounds great! Gonna make this for my birthday for sure, only maybe not the whole gallon. I don’t want to throw anything away so I’ll probably make about 75% of it, with the same ratios ofcourse. Can I squeeze the lime and lemons the day before and store ’em in the fridge?

• Judy Stocker says:

Just scaled this down (converted everything to ounces)and made myself two of these FABULOUS drinks!!! Yes, this is the BEST margarita recipe I have found and believe me, I have tried LOTS of different recipes!!! OMG, I can’t say enough about this drink. Try it. You won’t be disappointed. This coming from a self proclaimed “Margarita Connoisseur”! I will tell you, all my friends think I make the BEST margarita’s ever. And, that was BEFORE I found this recipe! Can’t wait to hear what they say now. :))) Jeff is right, don’t EVER, EVER use bottled lemon or lime juice. Everything MUST be fresh. Thank’s Jeff!!!

• Gregster says:

Hello Jeff,

I came across your website while looking for margarita recipes…it looks really good; I live in Dubai (from TX) and none of my friends here have attended a proper fiesta or Cinco De Mayo party, so pulling out all the stops and throwing a bash this May 5th. I’m going o try a gallon this weekend, but I’m making 10-15 gallons for the party. I will let you know how it works out!!!

Cheers

G

• Chris says:

After reading these comments I know I want to try these margaritas. I am wondering, though, how to make them a little less strong as I am not much of a drinker. Should I reduce the amount of tequila, or both tequila and triple sec, should I adjust the mix, and if so, how?

Thank you for the recipe. I appreciate your reply.

• Allison says:

Hey Jeff, just capitalized on some cheap citrus I found in the market and over-purchased. Do you know if it’s possible to freeze lemon and lime juice? Thanks for the brilliant recipe, trying it out right now.

• Summer says:

Made these for my husband;s 50th Birthday Surprise Party. It was a huge hit. My friend who is a bartender had been unsure when she heard I would be using lemon juice in the recipe. Her tune changed with her first sip. My mom told me later that they were easy to drink (not harsh) and she had a little more than planned and slept through the night well. You can try making the single drink recipe (figured out by one of the commenters) before making such a large batch. I did use Cointreau and a middle-range tequila.

• Gayle says:

Hi – is there a way to make this batch in strawberry flavor as well? Thanks!

• DanW says:

I’m not sure how it would work for strawberries, but I made raspberry margaritas with home-made raspberry-infused tequila. Another possibility might be to make/buy some good-quality strawberry syrup and substitute it for the simple syrup.

• Elisabeth says:

Hey Jeff,

I have read all of your other comments and don’t see anything about a virgin-version…Can you give me an idea about how to do that?? We are having a cinco de mayo party this weekend and want to have both alcoholic & non alcoholic.

Any help would be great!

thanks,
    *Elisabeth

• Jekka says:

Yup, you rock! Can’t wait to make these for our Cinco de Mayo fiesta this weekend. Thanks!