A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• heidi says:

looking at your rec. and excited about giving it a try. need about 5-6 gallons for my brothers 40th party. any more hints for that much?.

thanks jeff

heidi

• Jeffrey says:

Heidi

Just multiply everything by 5!

Jeff

• gretchen says:

Jeff-

You don’t know how perfect it is that you have shared how to make bulk margaritas!

Quick question… when you say triple sec do you recommend Cointreau?

Thanks so much!

• Jeffrey says:

I think that Cointreau or Patron Citronge would both be wonderful, albeit expensive triple secs to use here.

Cheers!

• your little sister says:

These are, hands down, the best fucking margaritas I’ve ever had.

• Jeffrey says:

Thanks, kid! That’s really my little sister, there, folks.

Oh, and kid, watch your mouth. This is a family website.

• Lucy says:

Thanks for the recipe!! Its nice and simple! sounds great!! Ill test it out this weekend, we are having a Mexican themed party down here in South Australia!!

• Julie says:

I received a margarator..margrita machine from a neighbor. It calls for margarita mix…blah. The machine makes 1 gallon of frozen margaritas, I think it said 16 or 18 8 oz glasses. If I add the 3 pounds of ice and your recipe..will that work??????

Julie

• Ummmmm… sure, try it! What’s the worst that could happen, right?

• Joe says:

Hey Jeff —

It’s my third time making your miracle mix and it’s always worth the extra work for fresh citrus. I’ve just spent hours squeezing countless lemons & limes for a 6 gallon monster!

Many thanks for sharing this great recipe!

Happy 4th of July from San Diego!!!!!

Joe