A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Jason says:

Elisabeth,

To make virgin ones, leave out the tequila.

• Joymama in Eugene says:

Just put a batch of these in the fridge. So, so good.

I used 12 big limes and 10 large lemons juiced with a wooden reamer. The lemons I got were huge but mostly rind so that was a bummer. It did not take much time at all to juice them so don’t be afraid to try this if you don’t have an electric juicer.

I did go to a Latina market and the produce was half the price of my regular market so thanks to the person who suggested that.

I’m a wine drinker and rarely partake of spirits so am ignorant of tequilas but do know this one does not burn when you take a shot, has a nice viscosity and a nice nose. I used Lunazle 100% agave, at $16.50 a fifth. It’s not Patron and doesn’t pretend to be. It is good in this margarita. For Triple Sec, I used DeKuyper’s, just standard but in this recipe it’s good.

If I was working and money wasn’t an option, I’d try some of the better tequilas and triple secs but alas, I’m a stay at home mom for now.

This batch cost about $45 buying two fifths of tequila, one of triple sec and the fruits.

Thanks Jeffery!

• John says:

Just made up 2 gallons for tomorrow’s Cinco de Mayo party. First pull of the first glass (on the rocks) was too much in-your-face tequila for me. Splash of 7-UP and it was perfect.

Thanks for the recipe!

• Tim says:

Made a batch yesterday and they were a hit! Just a little strong needed to add more simple sugar. Thanks!

• Melinda says:

Hello, each time I research margarita recipes, I come across your site. Looks like you have a fantastic recipe. HOWEVER, I am not able to have all the sugar. I love margaritas. Can you please tell me how you would make the margaritas using:
    1. Sugar Free Monin Triple Sec syrup (non alcoholic)
    2. Sugar Free Monin Sweetener (instead of the simple syrup)

I know, I know… it won’t taste as glorious as your recipe above… however, my friends and myself have had gastric bypass surgery and cannot have all the sugar. It makes us very sick.

• Jill says:

I made these with Lunazul tequila( $15 a fifth), Patron Citronage ($25), and about 15 limes and 10 lemons (each 99 cents a pound at the bodega)— perfect! Squeezed the citrus with a lemon squeezer and it was kind of a pain but I made them again 2 weeks later so obviously it wasn’t that bad. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe, I am really enjoying it!

• DanW says:

I’m getting ready to make my yearly batch of these, though I’m switching things up this year.

Raspberry-Lime Rickey Margaritas
    2 bottles raspberry tequila (Cuervo Tradicional Silver 100% agave infused for two weeks with 2 pints raspberries per bottle)
    1 bottle citrus vodka (Smirnoff 80 proof infused for two weeks with orange, lemon and lime zest)
    6 cups fresh squeezed lime juice
    2 cups agave syrup (the extra sweetness makes up for the lack of sweetness in the citrus vodka vs. Cointreau)

I’ve been experimenting with infusions this spring. Another winner was mango-habanero tequila (3 peppers and 1.5 pounds mango per bottle).

• whitty says:

Hello, I was wondering if you can put this mix in a freezer. To make in advance for a 4th of July party. It will then be thawed and poured into a slushie machine we have and as it turns in the machine it will get slushie. Do I need to add any water since it won’t be poured over ice? Your thoughts?

• david smith says:

Jeff
    i borrowed a friends frozen drink machine. he supplies the 1/2 gal syrup that you mix with another 1.5 gallons of water, 2 gal total. my question is (he ran out of marg syrup and only has strawberry daiquiri) do you think i can just double your recipe and put the 2 gallons in….you mentioned having melting ice tone down the drink but you dont add ice to the machine in this case? so would it be not enough water thanks!
    David

• Lance says:

Should this method be altered at all for blended margs? Thanks!