A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Dian says:

Hi!
    Read the reviews and this sounds GREAT! I’m anxious to try, but could you also give a recipe for say, 2 drinks?

Sometimes, I’d just like to kick back after work and have a couple – but not a GALLON!!! Thanks!

• Jill says:

How many years after this was published and still going strong. These are amazing margaritas! Thanks!

• jeffCA says:

Although squeezing your own citrus is always the best, I was forced to do a taste test on 7 mixes as I didn’t have time to squeeze for a party of 60 (I’m not even sure how many limes that would be, like 300???).

Anyway, 6 of us did blind taste tests. The overwhelming winner was Lefty O’douls Key Lime Margarita Mix. Good blend of citrus, and the real key limes add the right amount of tart. The other mixes seemed really sweet in comparison.

• Terry in FL says:

For those of you who have asked about other sizes to mix, just change the unit of measure.

The recipe calls for cups, but you can use whatever size measuring device you want.

For a single, use a shot glass.

6 shots tequila
    2½ shots triple sec
    2½ shots fresh lime juice
    2½ shots fresh lemon juice
    2 shots simple syrup

You get the idea.

• mike says:

hey buddy, just wanted to get your margarita recipe for one drink, not a gallon. thanks, keep up the good work.

• Troy says:

My family has been making a very similar fresh margarita recpie for many years and I wanted to share some things we’ve learned. (We are Margarita A Holics!)

1. Freezing really works! The trick is to seal-a-meal the sour mix to keep it fresh. We buy cases (yes cases!) of lemons and limes around January when the citrus is at its best (and least expensive) and squeeze a gallon a night. Pour them into 2 cup plastic containers. Freeze those. Then the next night transfer the frozen “golden bricks” into a seal-a-meal bag. The golden bricks will last for a year! Come home from work and drop a golden brick (still in the seal a meal bag) into a sink of warm water and a few minutes later you make a fresh squeezed margarita. It’s magic!

2. Nutrasweet works great! I’ve tried different sugar substitutes and keep coming back to nutrasweet. You don’t need to make a simple syrup, just add the powder straight into the sour mix, shake and it dissolves well (unlike sugar). 1 Packet of Nutrasweet is about as sweet as 2tsp of sugar. Adjust sweetness to taste.

3. The right tequila makes a difference. I’ve tried them all and keep coming back to Sauza Gold. Of course, this is personal preference.

• Jessie says:

This recipe sounds amazing. How long would it keep in a camping cooler?

• Rochelle Lamar says:

Made these!!! They were perfect!!! Everyone was saying I made the best margarita’s!! And we’re asking for the recipe! The fresh lime and lemon were key! Thanks again!! I’ll be keeping this for future reference.

• Tammy says:

Hi there,
    just one question, why did you write the date on the gallon jug? How long would you say it will last?
    Thanks Tammy