A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Hey guys – These margaritas will last a couple of days, anything past that and your juice is going to start turning, even with a high alcohol volume like we have here.

• Kimm says:

Just so we know approximately how many limes and lemons do you buy for this? I can never tell how much juice you get from the limes especially. Going to make these for bunco on the 30th.

• Laura says:

Can’t WAIT to make these for our Cinco De Mayo party down here in Alabama’s Rocket City on Sunday! Thanks!

• Michelle Salehi says:

Perfect!!!!! I made a half batch…silly me, they r sooooo good!!!

• Mike in Jax says:

Just awesome – by far the best I have ever had!

• Rain in Sunny FL says:

Hi,
    I am always planning a party, tailgate or picnic and love your bulk margarita recipe! Yes, fresh is best! As a Florida girl, of course I have a juicer! And I make a low-calorie, guilt-free, batch for my “momtourage” with Truvia. I always make more than I need…don’t want to run out…BUT the extra margaritas can be frozen! There are some in my freeze now! But not for long! I chop it into hunks and add some diet 7Up. Makes a delicious slushy- no blender needed!

• Stephanie says:

Have enjoyed the recipe – can wait for Fourth of July to whip out a whole gallon, but reading all of the comments I am amazed at all the complaints about juicing. Some years ago I spent about $15 for a Proctor-Silex Juicit. Making fresh limeade got a lot easier after that. These are still available, cheap and make juicing citrus in volume a breeze. Probably less than some Williams Sonoma juicer press…

• Megan says:

Just made this, haven’t tried it yet. Took 28 limes and 33 lemons. Enjoy juicing! 🙂

• Sharon says:

This is exactly how I always make my margaritas. Only I add amaretto to make it an Italian margartia.

• Denise G. says:

After reading all the great reviews I can”t wait to make them!!!! Cheers!!!!