A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Jeffrey says:

Wow, thanks, Joe! That’s the best review yet!

• cindy says:

had margaritas at a party made from your gallon recipe, FANTASTIC! Will be taking them on vacation next week’

Thanks A LOT!

• Jeffrey says:

Glad I could help, Cindy!

Jeffrey

• Doug says:

Jeff,

Just checking again. I’m paying $1.00 for two limes or two lemons. Are roughly 10 limes and 10 lemons enough? These are bit expensive, by the time you buy the liquor. I’m hoping they are good! I went with the cheaper Tequila to offset the cost of the fruit.

Are there ANY suitable alternatives for fresh squeezed?

• Jeffrey says:

Doug

As a very general rule of thumb, expect to get 1.5 ounces of juice from each lemon or lime. This will vary greatly depending on the ripeness of the fruit and the time of year you’re purchasing them.

So you’re probably coming up a little short, but remember: there is no substitute for freshly-squeezed juice.

Look to see if there is a club store or restaurant supply grocer in your town, they typically run cheaper than your neighborhood big-box retailer.

And good luck!

• MJ in KC says:

I used Jeffrey’s gallon recipe for a friend’s birthday celebration and the margaritas were quite a hit! The only adjustment I made was to use all of the simple syrup (2+ cups), because the original batch was a little sour for our taste. YUM!

• Jeffrey says:

Thanks, MJ! And, if this isn’t a testament to the recipe, I’m making my own two-gallon batch as we speak for a camping trip tomorrow!

• chelle says:

This might be a stupid question but how do I make them flavored such as strawberry or such? I realize the lemons and lime provide flavoring but what if I would like something different?

• Jeffrey says:

Chelle

Take half the lemon, half the lime, and half the simple syrup and put them into a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add a cup and a half of fresh, trimmed strawberries and blend on high until smooth.

Strain with a metal strainer to extract all the seeds and pulpy stuff.

Add this to the remaining ingredients and mix well.

And there you go, strawberry margaritas by the gallon!