A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Susan says:

I’m having a party and we’ve rented 5 oz. cocktail (martini) glasses. Could I just serve this mix without ice, as long as it’s really cold? Or, would you add a few cubes of ice to each cocktail glass first? Thanks!

• Jeffrey says:

Water from melted ice is an incredibly important component to any cocktail. Simply chill these margaritas in the fridge and they will taste far too strong.

So, for each 5-ounce cocktail, put 3 ounces of my mix into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well, and strain into the glass. The levels should come out just about right.

Cheers!

• Rose says:

made the gallon of margarita’s for a night of drinking with my margarita drinking friends at the race track. (our husbands drag race motorcycles) We girls are the “Margarita Queens” of the track because of our habit. Well i decided to try your recipe and it was such a hit. We (3 girls) drank the whole gallon. we did let some of the guys taste a little and now more people want to drink with us at the race track.
    we race almost every weekend and now we are taking turns making your recipe cause it gets expensive for just one (me) to have to make them every weekend
    and of course we have to use top shelf on everything because we are “MARGARITA QUEENS”

Thanks for a great recipe

Rose

• James says:

Jeff,
    Can I purchase simple syrup at the grocery store? How long can I keep the gallon of margarita in the fridge? Also, I looked at the corner of your website at the mojito recipe and wondered if one can make a gallon of mojitos or of similar mass quantity.

James

• Jeffrey says:

James,

1. Maybe somewhere, but it’s going to be much cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to buy a box of sugar and boil some water. Really.

2. Don’t keep your margaritas more than a couple of days.

3. I don’t recommend the large-quantity format for mojitos.

• carla says:

how long can i keep a gallon of mixture in refridge befor going bad

• Mr. I'm from Texas says:

If you can buy it at your friendly neighborhood liquor provider, use EL JIMADOR tequila. Its from the same folks who do Herradura. If you haven’t had that then your in for a treat. I like to be special sometimes and use the Patron Citronge(just cheaper than Cointreau and same taste).

Lastly, my recipe:
    equal parts tequila, triple sec, FRESH lime juice

(and jeffrey you melted my heart with the top 10 drinks list)

• Jeffrey says:

Great call, Mr! I also use Patron Citronge in place of Cointreau in a lot of recipes. I think the flavor difference is almost negligible, and the cost here in Oregon is $15 less a bottle.

• Margarita Lover says:

What’s the best way to determine the amount to use if you want to make a large batch of frozen margaritas? I would like to use Tequila, triple sec and limeade.

• Jeffrey says:

I would say, “screw the limeade”, but if that advice doesn’t work for you, try this:

Put one 12-oz scoop ice, two ounces tequila, one ounce triple sec and two ounces frozen limeade concentrate (not diluted) into a blender and blend for 45 seconds until smooth.

I would still recommend that you try the above recipe, however.

Good luck!