A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• David says:

Here in Hawai’i margaritas are popular and a lot of the women that I hang out with order a island style margarita called “Li Hing Mui” margarita. Li Hing Mui is a dried plum treat that originated in mainland China but is a big part of island life here in Hawaii as we put Li hing flavoring on everything and anything from gummy bears to popcorn. A popular thing that people in Hawaii do is put about a dozen dried plums in a bottle of tequila and let it marinate. I was wondering if you heard of a Li Hing Mui margarita before and how you would recommend making this with your recipe.

• Bonnie says:

Jeffrey, my boyfriend and I have made your gallon recipe twice for parties recently. Not only are they a huge hit with our guests, but they seem to have quite an, ahem, aphrodisiac affect! To all those interested in a little extra merry making this holiday season, try some gallon margis on for size. They last in the fridge and are a great compliment to mole, stir fry, green curry, cheese plates… Be forewarned, dirty dishes, strewn clothes, lights left on all night, forgetting to brush teeth, wildly drunk sex, passing out, may all occur upon consumption! 😉

• Thanks for sharing, Bonnie. I’m glad I could, uh, help!

• Jason says:

Jeffrey,

I love the recipe and have been looking for a long time to find something like this. I have a party coming up this weekend and was wondering how can i make this recipe Frozen. Can it be as simple as to refrig the mix and put into a blender with ice?

• Jason

It would be exactly that simple. Have fun!

• Tony says:

Made for the Superbowl. Huge hit. Very very strong…but very very good. Thanks for the recipe!

• Glad you liked it, Tony!

The margaritas are strong, but that’s a good thing, right?

• christopher says:

thanks to global warming, spring has sprung in feb here in LA. so the lemon tree in my yard is in full bloom, and gave up its goods to make this mix happen. made this, to the letter, w/ all fresh ingredients, and dropped it into a sunny afternoon backyard party. my goodness. what a treat. thanks for sharing this awesome recipe no one would have faulted you for keeping to yourself.
    ~christopher. Los Feliz, LA.

• Christopher

You just made my day, even if it does make me sad to think of beautiful Los Angeles while it’s 40 degrees here in Oregon.

I’ll toast you with a margarita in a few months, however!

• Colleen says:

Jeffrey I think I am not in love with you! I stumbled on this site looking for Margarita recipes and you were the 2nd post. I have to say I love love love your website! I have book marked it and rated it awesome in STUMBLE IT so others find it as well. I will be using it for every party going forward!

I cannot wait to make this recipe this weekend. My daughter just turned 10 months and it has been a while since I drank so this Saturday the girls are coming over and we are getting Mad! I plan on having Daddy take care of the kiddies well into the next day as it sounds as if these ritas pack a beautiful punch! Thanks for sharing and making a new mommy look forward to her freedom time!