A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon

Update! Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine!

It’s summer here in Oregon, which means barbecues, camping trips and river floats are on the agenda for the next few months. I always love showing up with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas for the party, so I’ve decided to share my recipe with you, the loyal reader.

[Update: I just realized – three years later – that there was some confusion about the amounts specified due to my suggestions regarding how many bottles to purchase for the recipe. I hope it’s more clear now, but just in case… You will need to buy two fifths of tequila and measure out six cups (you should be left with about two ounces), and you’ll need to buy one fifth of triple sec and measure out 2½ cups (this should leave you with about an ounce). I hope this helps, and sorry for the three years of confusion.]

I usually make this recipe several gallons at a time and I serve them in one of these classic, durable, insulated coolers. What I’ll do is add a couple of gallon-size Ziploc bags full of ice right in the cooler and it’ll keep the whole thing nice and cold all day long. And as an added benefit, the Ziploc bags will keep the melting ice from diluting the Margaritas as they sit.

Hey, are you looking for a single-serving Margarita? Don’t need to make twenty of these damn things? Well here’s a really solid recipe that we use at all our bars, and that I use at home!

One Gallon of Margaritas Print Me

• 6 cups tequila (you'll need to buy two fifths for this)
  • 2½ cups triple sec (just buy one fifth, please)
  • 2½ cups fresh lime juice
  • 2½ cups fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups simple syrup
  1. Mix ingredients together in a large insulated container.
  2. Fill container with gallon Ziploc bags full of ice to chill
  3. When ready to serve, pour mixture into an 8-ounce glass filled with ice.
  4. Salted rim is optional.
  5. Makes around 20 margaritas per gallon.

279 Replies to “A Gallon of Margaritas by the Gallon”

• Conni

I guess I would just substitute the tequila for brandy and see what happens!

• Jeremy says:

I’ve become famous in my circle of friends for these Margaritas (I cite you of course)

Though, they are highly requested now, “Did you make your margaritas?”

The best comment yet, “These should be called ‘Apache Margaritas’ because they sneak up on you.”

• stephanie says:

Thank you for making me the new Margarita Queen in the hood…Had all the girls over for a Spring Fever party and WHOA those margies are good and strong. I went crazy and used Cointreau, doubled the recipe, and added a few glugs of fresh OJ…
    You rock…thanks again

• Joyce says:

I have a 5 gallon container to put the mix in but want to keep it cold, Can I go ahead and mix in the ice so I dont have to keep it seperate. The idea is for everyone to get a margarita out of the spigot when they want it but with as little hassle as possible. And to have a plate next to it with lemon juice and salt for dipping glass in? Will this delute the margarita’s too much?

• Joyce

Go rent a 5-gallon insulated container to put your mix in, I use a little 2-gallon container I found at a hardware store all the time.

If you don’t have an insulated container, don’t add ice to the mix. It’s going to be diluted awfully quickly.

Good luck!

• Sharon says:

I Jeffrey,

I’m glad I found this website… margarita is my favorite drink.

My husband and I love green apple margaritas using Apple Pucker. What would be the amount to add to make it with your recipe??

Thanks!

• Sharon

I can’t, in good conscience, condone the use of Apple Pucker. I’m sorry.

• Mikel says:

I am SO making these for Cinco de Mayo this year!

• syoung68 says:

Do you use your JuiceMan juicer for the citrus, if so do you simply cut them in half and throw them in?

• Jennifer says:

Jeffrey,

Do you ever add other fresh fruit juices to make flavored margaritas? I was thinking of maybe blending up strawberries and substituting it for the lemon juice. Think this would work?
    Thanks!