Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Sam says:

I’m not sure what I did wrong, but maybe someone can help me out. I used Fermentis US-05 dry ale yeast, in lieu of the recommended wine yeast, but apart from that I followed the directions to a t. The resulting stuff is great tasting, but has zero carbonation. Such a bummer. Thoughts?

• lee budz says:

take it to the next level!!!

after a fun and successful time adapting and playing with these tips i must say that scince i started a GINGER BEER PLANT ill never look back, yes its alittle pain to maintain but being able to make ginger beer, scrumpy cider, fizzzy ice ts, sourdoughs well anything that needs a bit of good old CO2 at the drop of a hat, outweighs that 30s that it takes to feed everyday.plenty of tips on web or if anyi needes a push in the right direction would be glad to help

still any ideas on wat the real difference beween ginger ale and ginger beers is???

sweet

• gwynclan says:

Jeff,
    great recipe and posts. i have my own recipe i would like to share with you, a little more involved, but with anything you enjoy doing. Spending time doing it is half the fun!

recipe
    1 cup luke warmwater 1/2 packet of bakers yeast in a glass jar and cover with cheese cloth or muslin secure with a rubber band,let sit till bubbles start to form. Then feed the solution 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp ground ginger every day for 5 days stirring every time.

For the syrup
    I use 24 cups of water,3 1/2 cups turbinado sugar, zest of 2 limes and juice of one.2 tsp ground ginger and 3 inches of fresh ginger root cut on a micro plan. 1 jalapeno with seeds cut up.

simmer 12 cups water and all other ingredients for 15 min. then add the other 12 cups of water and cool.

Stir up yeast solution and pour through 2 layers of the cheese cloth into syrup mixture stir well then bottle.

I find that after 12 hrs or so I can fridge rate and have greatly carbonated GB. you can omit the jalapeno if you like but I like the spice it adds.

After you pour the yeast solution through the cheese cloth split it up and restart your “GB plant”. With warm water and sugar. And start the same way as before with the ground ginger and the sugar.

Give the other half to someone else that you got hooked on yours. or have 2 for double the amount next time.

I used to have stomach problems but drinking this 3 or 4 times a week has stopped my indigestion and some other bowl symptoms not to be gross but natural product are the way to go.
    Sorry for the long post guy’s

• Richard says:

Great post, I have never made beer before but this post is enough for me to give it a try!!

• Arthur says:

Great read!!!

I know this is going to be blasphemous for all the purists, but I gave it a whirl with (GASP!) powdered ginger and a SodaStream drink carbonator and the result was delicious. I used your recipe as a guide but tweaked a little for convenience.

For a 32 oz. bottle of “instant” ginger beer in under 5 mins:

– *6 oz. simple syrup (plus more sugar, to taste)
    – 4 oz. lemon juice (I used half fresh squeezed and half bottled)
    – ~1.5 tablespoons (or more) powdered ginger
    – 20 oz COLD water (in a SodaStream compatible bottle or in Soda Siphon).

Mix all ingredients but the water until ginger is dissolved. Add to SodaStream bottle / soda siphon of water, shake vigorously for a minute or two. Taste for sweetness and ginger potency and adjust as desired.

Carbonate and enjoy!

*My wife is a type I diabetic so we often substitute Splenda for the sugar. The dark and stormies remain delicious and refreshing!

• diggy says:

Thanks for the excellent article. I want to have a Moscow Mule party, but ginger beer is expensive and hard to come by. I’m going to try to make my own.

I was just wondering how many days it lasts. If anyone knows, please post! Thank you!

• ellen says:

Hi there,

Getting ready to make my first batch but I have a question. What will the differences be if I use champagne, lager or ale yeast instead of baker’s yeast? Also is there a way to stop carbonation?

• James Pratt says:

I just bought the iSi Soda Siphon on here to compare the results with the in-bottle carbonation I’ve been doing. I notice the manual is pretty emphatic about ONLY putting pure water in the siphon. I assume putting ginger beer in the siphon will reduce it’s effective life span and possibly make it more difficult to clean.

Can anyone who has this iSi Soda Siphon have any comments on how it held up putting ginger beer in it rather than just water?

• John Merrill says:

I used an iSi extensively last summer. I was careful to strain everything. My iSi worked for a few weeks this Spring but clogged last week.

I ordered another via Amazon. (I use Splenda instead of sugar so the siphon is my option.) Worth the replacement cost, I think.

• Ted says:

Well, Jeff, I’ve gone against all the proper procedures. For the last four months, have been using ground ginger. I don’t rinse or wash my one liter bottles. Been using bottled lemon juice. When the bottle gets down to just the sediment, I did dump it out leaving the bottle pretty ugly looking and added 1 cup simple syrup, heaping tablespoon ground ginger, teaspoon cream of tarter, two tablespoons of lemon juice and top it off with water. I say did, because I decided to recycle the sediment by adding a little more ginger and the syrup, lemon juice and water. Believe it or not, it tastes very good. Great with vodka as Moscow Mules! We go through two bottles a week!

Still have to stop in a see you sometime.