Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Lauren Mote says:

jeff – would you say that this process can be duplicated theoretically to make ciders, rootbeers, etc… is this a pretty healthy starter recipe for bottle fermenting some interesting products?

• Lauren Mote says:

wicked. i’m totally going to have an explosive family of fermenting PLASTIC bottles in my fridge. radical.

• Lauren Mote says:

here are my findings. 3 ways and 3 tastes. 3 cocktails, and 3 of everything. i believe this suggests OCD but i can handle that. great read, and great recipe – i’ll keep you posted on the development of the other ‘pops’ with the recipe base with slight adjustments.

• Jim Butchart says:

I had the best Dark & Stormy yesterday in Palo Alto at a Caribbean restaurant called Coconuts. So good in fact I went to the bar to ask what ginger beer they used. The bar man told me that the chef makes it and wouldn’t give me the details of how it is made. So I used Google to find your recipe. Thanks! Now we will make our own and save a pile by not buying anymore Reed’s, Fever Tree, or Cock & Bull and get a much better ginger bite in the process.

• Devo_N says:

You got ripped off. This guy clearly stole your work without any citation at all (and a much lamer recipe, to boot, yanking out half the ginger).

• Devo_N says:

Incidentally, I love this recipe. I don’t have the juicer, and using the microplaner is too much of a PITA. So finely chop the ginger in my Cuisinart, using your idea of 1.5 oz ginger = 1 oz juice. So, 1.5 oz chopped ginger and 2 Oz lemon juice. Then I let it steep for 24 hours, and put it through a french press (Got that idea from another of your recipes). Add the simple syrup or agave nectar to the ginger/lemon juice and I have the syrup.
    Great stuff. All my friends are hooked. Works great without the rum, too.

• Ben says:

Jeff,

I just discovered your blog. First, it’s great, thank you. Second, totally want to make barrel-aged Negroni’s and my own ginger beer now.

I also have a question about the iSi Soda Siphon, are you satisfied with it? I’ve thought about getting a soda siphon for a while now but some reviews I read described the iSi as producing weak and unsatisfying carbonation. I’ve been considering the SodaStream, but it is much more expensive and has propriety carbonators, which is a bit of a turn off.

And I have a suggestion, as a long time homebrewer. For the adding of the yeast to the ginger beer you may want to consider rehdyrating the yeast or using a yeast starter, instead of adding the dry yeast directly to the bottles. That way you have a better chance of even carbonation across all the bottles and avoiding some individual bottles not being carbonated. My apologies if someone already mentioned this, as I didn’t read through all 199 comments.

Anyways, thanks for the great writing.

• Kristy says:

Made aquadruole sized batch of this and used 3 bottles, with about 22oz in each.

Oneof my bottles is pink now. Any ideas why? It hasonly been 4-ish hours since they were set aside…

• Aamanda Cote says:

As a woman that has been making ginger everything i can get my hands on i will surely be testing this out. In fact as i type i have 12 bottles of ginger ale sitting on my counter fermenting. I would like to add something for you. When i prepare my ginger for ale i chop a cup of it very fine in the afternoon and put in the crock pot. in the evening before bed i add peppermint leaves. I like peppermint so i put about 1/3 of a cup. i bottle the next afternoon to give the ginger and leaves plenty of time. my recipie calls for 9 quarts of water and i have about four of it in the crock pot.
    my ginger ale goes good with my ginger chocolate chip cookies!!

• Noelle says:

“The problem with living in Oregon when this mood strikes is the absence of little wooden shacks that sell cases of fresh ginger beer stacked on back porches.”

I’m confused, when did you visit Bermuda? In the 1920s? Because unlike some islands in the Carribean (which we are not, we are all alone in the Atlantic) we don’t live in or sell products from “little wooden shacks”, not even on our beaches, we live in structurally-sound concrete block and limestone houses and we shop at proper liquor and grocery stores.

If I seem a little testy it’s only because I’m so tired of the fact that many people (if they’ve even heard of Bermuda) think that we live in huts over here.

Love your blog though. Only happened upon it recently, that’s why the very delayed response.

P.S. Two men are sitting at a bar drinking ‘Dark ‘n Stormys’. One with a lime, one without. Guess which one is not Bermudian? (Hint: Where are you from Jeff?)

• Noelle, I’d apologize for being a salesman, but I can’t. I’m trying to sell the idea of fresh, homemade ginger beer to my readers, much in the same way that I sell it to my guests at work: as a traditional, pastoral, homemade product.

In my defense, I never named the bustling metropolitan island of Bermuda in my post, only as the home of Gosling’s Rum. But nevertheless, up here in the cold, dreary Pacific Northwest, we like to daydream a little of the Caribbean and imagine those white sandy beaches and little wooden shacks. Sue us.