Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Thomas says:

Thanks for the recipe!

I added a little honey and some pineapple juice and those things really added to it.

• morgan says:

I havnt had english style since my grandfather made it when I was a kid, I begged for the recipe but was made to copy it out of a book by hand and never finished the monumental task. he used to put it in sherry bottles and it sat in a cabinet for months never knowing the inside of a fridge, by the time i got a bottle it had a not insignificant kick which i at ten or so didnt understand but one day as i was sacheting down the street with my sherry bottle my dad grabbed it and took a sniff then asked me if i would please not get pie eyed in public until i was 16 or so. very much looking forward to trying your recipe. i will try quince it is superior to lemon in every way- the dark and stormys that attacked me in Bermuda were Jamaican style, you must have been futher south

• Kristine says:

I made it with extra ginger (about half more), and am thoroughly enjoying it. I’ve never made homemade soda before, so this was quite a new experience for me; I’d love to try some new combinations (maybe blueberry soda?).

Thanks for the great recipe!

By the way, have you found any great spice/fruit combinations to add during the recipe? (Would cloves be a good idea?)

• kd says:

Thank you for this recipe! I’m in the midst of brewing some ginger beer. I didn’t deviate too far from the original recipe. I did pop the lemon into my Juicelady and used the regular yeast I had on hand. I’m looking forward to the results, although my husband says I should try it first and wait a day so that the children at least have one parent. Maybe I won’t share. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Michael says:

Just gave this a try and the results were mixed. I used some recommended tweaks — 1/2 oz less lemon, 1/2 oz more syrup and less than 1/8 tsp yeast. The results were explosive, even though temperatures were in the 60’s for the fermentation. I was cleaning ginger beer off my ceiling, walls and nearly every surface of the kitchen.

What I’m wondering about is the ginger beer didn’t have the creaminess of Bunderburg. Instead, it had a bit of an almost chlorine-like aftertaste. (I used unchlorinated, bottled water so that wasn’t the cause.) A couple cloves in one bottle really helped balance that flavor, but are there any suggestions for getting that creaminess? I had vanilla extract in some bottles but that didn’t seem to help.

Thanks for the recipe and write-up. I’m excited to keep experimenting with it!

• kd – Just a warning that juicing a whole lemon, peel and all, will result in a very bitter drink.

Michael – Try following the recipe sometime and let us know how those results work out for you!

• Steven says:

Hi Jeff.

Congrats on Bartender of the Year in Portland Monthly! I read the article the same week I saw this post. I’m brewing my ginger beer tonight and will let you know how it comes out. I’m a typical Portlander so I’m also into homebrew. Maybe later I’ll try a larger batch and attempt a longer ferment with an airlock, like some of the peeps on here wanted to try.

When I have time I’ll come by Clyde and say hello! Thanks and keep up the great work mate.

-Steven (in Tigard)

• Sea Dog says:

Steven,

I did a 1 gallon batch, about a year ago, that I fermented for a week with an air lock. I did not like the results, it was very dry and tasted more like bad wine. Since then I have made multiple 5 gallon batches and force carbonated them skipping the yeast altogether. If you do try and ferment it out I would recommend trying a small batch first.

Sea Dog

• Hey guys. Yeah, fermenting it longer with an airlock is going to give you alcohol – and likely a funky taste. Fermenting for 48 hours in glass bottles as per the recipe will produce gas, but no alcohol or juice spoilage.

• Sea Dog says:

To All,

I have made about 20 gallons over the past two years. Some things I have learned: Buy your ginger root at a farmers market. $20 gets me a grocery bag full of ginger. Use a spoon to peel your ginger. Force carbonation is the only reliable way. Yeast is living and unpredictable. Clean everything your ginger beer will come in contact with.

I use a Juice Man Jr. to juice on low. This invokes a lot for cleaning of the filter basket every 2-3 roots. I also save my pulp and what I scrape off the filter basket, put it in a stainless steel pot and simmer it in water. I then strain it and run the pulp through the juicer again. Be careful, there are reasons Juice Man does not recommend this. The second run juice in not as clear or strong but still has good flavor. The second run pulp I use to make pancakes.

Since I brew beer, I already owned a stainless steel stock pot, wort chiller. Cornelius Kegs and CO2 system. Craigs list is a good place to get used equipment. Other wise do some hunting and you should be able to find a keg for less then $10. I have also used “The Carbonater” (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-carbonater.html) with a 2 liter soda bottle. I use this when bringing ginger beer to parties. This you can do without a keg, but you will still need a CO2 tank, regulator and Ball Lock Gas Disconnect.

If you a going to store your ginger beer, clean everything with BLC Beer Line Cleaner. Warm your ingredients to at least 140 F or boil it. When you add your ingredients, the temperature and how long you hold that temp all affect clarity smell and flavor. Add Potassium Sorbate (this will kill yeast) to our finished product. Once you bottle or keg your ginger beer keep it refrigerated. I have the tail end of a 5 gallon batch in my fridge that I brewed in November, still tastes great.

Hope this is helpful,

Sea Dog

• oversea says:

Thanks for this simple and tasty recipe here Jeffrey! Made it about ten times now and i absolutely fell in love with it. Ginger Beer is hard to get here in germany so i am very thankful !
    Many of Your ideas are a true inspiration to me.

Greetings from germany