Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1Β½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Michael says:

I’ve wondered the same as Chris — can you just use soda water for the carbonation instead of using still water? Soda Siphons don’t seem ideal and, as most everyone here can attest, the yeast is always hit-or-miss.

Pete — How did the Soda Stream work out? The company warns against using anything but plain water (adding your flavorings afterward) and using anything but water voids the warranty. I was still thinking of trying it πŸ™‚ so I’m wondering what your experience was.

• Lana says:

I have followed the recipe precisely, and when all ingredients except for yeast were mixed together, it turned pink. I thought it was because my juice was in a red bowl, but I see Kristy had the experience. I wonder why that is. Here’s what it looks like:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5972571143/in/photostream

• Lana says:

I think figured it out! It must have turned pink because I mixed the ginger and lemon juice and left it sitting while the syrup was cooling down. Ginger naturally turns light pink when pickled, so lemon juice must have ‘pickled’ the ginger juice. Soon will see if it’s affected the taste.

• Kipp says:

Thanks for the recipe, I made the original and 2 variations one was sweetened with a lavender honey syrup and a crystalized ginger, lime zest, and clove syrup. The second variation was sweetened with a vanilla and cinnamon syrup and lavender honey syrup. I have had several friends and patrons say it the best dark and stormy they have ever had. Thanks again Jeffery for the great recipe.

• Ricky says:

Killer ginger beer. It has a really nice bite to it. Lana, my ginger beer turned pink as well, but after I siphoned and cooled it, the color corrected.

• Betty Weiss says:

Funny that you mention you’re in Oregon, where you have to make your own ginger beer. I just came from Corvallis, Oregon, where I enjoyed wonderful ginger beer (made like yours with champagne yeast) at a dinner catered by Intaba’s FireWorks Restaurant.

I asked for her recipe and hope to try it soon at home. My usual bottled brew is Bundaberg Ginger Beer from Australia.

• Jim says:

I’ve made a number of batches and its been great. However, the last three batches have tasted and smelled of plastic and I’m not sure why.

After boiling my water ginger and spices all is well, then a few hours after my yeast has been added, the batch has a plastic chemical smell to it. At first I thought it was the plastic pitcher I used hold the brew after boiling, or the plastic bottles I was using for botteling. This didn’t make sense because they were the same containers I had used to create good batches earlier. I ended up replacing both the pitcher and bottles with glass just in case, but to no avail.

My current thought is that I began putting a cinnamon stick into my brew a few batches ago and that may be reacting poorly with the yeast.

Any thoughts out there?

• Zach says:

Jim,
    I just made a batch of ginger beer at my house this last week and i boiled my ginger as well. However all of the containers I used were either stainless steel or glass.

The reason for boiling the ginger is to pasteurize it and thus prevent wild yeast or fungus to enter the mix. If you can find some glass pop-top bottles those will work best, and make sure you use a good sterilizer. You can find that in a place that sells home brewing equipment.

• Bill says:

Finally got around to making this a couple of weeks ago. Was way, way, WAY too lemony for my taste. Carbonation was just right, and the ginger burn in my throat was absolutely magnificent.

• kristin says:

I made this tonight, and it is amazing! I used an iSi twist and sparkle to carbonate. The first batch was a little too lemony, so I added a few more oz of simple syrup to the second batch – perfect!