Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Usthen says:

gonna try out with fruit kefir yeast and spice, ll let know

• Siggy says:

Started making ginger beer here in Costa Rica a couple weeks ago when I realized I had ginger growing on my property. I found a recipe very similar to this one on a different site. My fist batch I just peeled and cut the ginger into slices and put it in a blender with the lemon and sugar and filled with water and blended till the sugar dissolved filled this along with bakers yeast into cleaned 2.5 liter pop bottles ( almost impossible to explode) and the fermentation took 2 days till it got the bottles firm. After that refrigerated and strained the ginger out, added another Tsp of sugar to keep the yeast fed and left the bottles out another day til they firmed up and refrigerated again, turned out great. My observations are the yeasty flavor reduces considerably after refrigeration and open the bottles slowly to allow excess carbonation to escape (otherwise it’ll be all over the place). Brewing a batch now with some cloves thrown in and added the sediment from the last batch instead of yeast. Hoping it’ll work better than the dormant stuff.

• Matthew says:

I’ve made a few batches of this now, so first- thank you. Couple questions if you have a minute… First, I got tons of carbonation, so much that it takes several minutes of just cracking the seal and letting some out, then letting it settle, then repeat until I can open it without losing most of it. Is there some technique to get around this? I think the amount of sediment (including added spices) makes it fizz more and I’ve tried filtering through coffee filters, but the sediment clogs them up very quickly. Is filtering a good idea and if so is there a better way?

• Chas says:

I like this recipe. I used to make Ginger Beer 5 gallons at a time for a restaurant I ran. This recipe is very close to how I made it. A cheaper way to do it without the bottles is to use Mason Jars. The only real difference when I made it was we added a little citric acid. When I make it at home, I like to add a little brown sugar sometimes. Give it a neat, warm kind of flavor.

• Siggy says:

Well I’ve been making my own ginger beer for a few weeks now and here are my observations. Cloves round out the flavor and give it the “real” ginger ale flavor, about 1 clove per liter does it. Tried cinnamon, didn’t do much at all. Black pepper, I’m still undecided on it. Limes are better than lemons. Crushed allspice is interesting but weak flavored. Adding a few teaspoons of sediment from a recent batch instead of yeast seems to work better; Less yeasty flavor, quicker fermentation and you can still get fermentation with large amounts of ginger added. I think a sort of natural selection that favors strains that are tolerant of ginger takes place. The initial batch that I made I put a lot of ginger in (3″ of sediment in a 3 liter bottle) and had to dilute it into 2 bottles to get fermentation going, adjusting sugar and lemon juice back to original proportions. After a few batches using sediment from the previous batch instead of yeast I found I can use a lot of ginger and still have fermentation. I like it spicier than most though. It makes for an excellent Dark & Stormy with 7 year old Flor de Caña Rum from Nicaragua.

• Farkas says:

So I’ve been making ginger beer at my bar for two months now, or roughly six batches. I’ve been bottle fermenting with cuvee yeast, bread yeast, and champagne yeast. The recipe I follow or (screw with) call for steeping the liquid and such and putting in activated yeast. Is that whole process nessary? I patrons tell me it’s awesome, but I’m not satisfied with the amount of yeast/ setament in the bottom of the bottle when done carbonating. Any tips on how to filter?
    P.s. I have this on our drink list as the “Fark N’ Stormy” so perfection will never be achieved with my name attached. Thanks

• MothyrGrimm says:

Jeff, not sure if someone asked this already, that’s A LOT of posts to check… anywho, do you prefer to use the traditional way of fermentation, or the trustier soda siphon? I can’t wait to try this!

• Mary H says:

I wish I’d read this first.
    Here’s how I’ve made ginger beer so far:
    Read “Wild Fermentation” and go out an buy a crappy 1 quart bail top bottle from the Container Store…Wait for “ginger bug” to capture wild yeast for a week…get frustrated and add 1/4 tsp. of bread yeast to bug…follow the rest of the directions in the book, bottle the ginger beer and anticipate waiting two weeks for your beverage…discover crappy bottle exploded after three days, find Jeffrey’s website, panic, and put remaining bottles in the fridge to prevent further explosions in the mechanical room. Hopefully I’ll have some fizz, but I’m not opening the remaining bottles until they are WELL chilled (and outside)! Next time I’ll try it this way. And use a better bottle!

• Cpt. Danger says:

Just did a gallon in 8 flip-cap bottles. Added 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and I steeped 1oz of Spanish lavender in 16 oz of hot water and added that. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Cpt. Danger says:

Tried the lavender ginger beer yesterday and today. One of them exploded, blowing the bottom off the bottle just minutes before I was going to refridgerate them.

Once cold, they still foamed well over when opened but were delicious, although not as much ginger bite as I wanted.

Today, the one that didn’t get drank or exploded yesterday was even tastier. It still foamed over, but not as much.

Last night I bottled a gallon in a glass jug. I used:

12 oz fresh ginger juice
    16 oz fresh lemon juice
    24 oz simple syrup
    80 oz warm water
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 tsp champagne yeast

Tomorrow evening I’ll bottle it in 16 oz flip-cap bottles.