Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Siggy says:

Tara,
    If you use pop bottles you’ll be safe from having them explode. The yeast can only build so much pressure and bottles made for carbonated beverages can handle that. Putting them in the fridge only drastically slows down the yeast. But the do continue to work at a very slow rate.

• Atalanta says:

Finally got around to this one. Bought the ginger (it’s cheaper at the ethnic markets than the mainstream) and brought it home. The grater we thought we had was MIA. Don’t have a juicer. Fortunately we did just a small batch and used…. A GARLIC PRESS. We inherited this ancient press (all metal, doesn’t “self clean”) and squeezed the bejeebers out of ginger until we had a quarter cup of juice and little bits of ginger all over the kitchen LOL

We’re getting a grater before we do the next batch and doing the lemon squeezer/cheesecloth trick.

It was just a tetch too gingery (may be the strain of ginger from the Indian market?) but other than that, the dark and stormy was good.

• Siggy says:

I find it easier to just throw it in the blender with the sugar and some water. Strain off the solids if you don’t want it to strong.

• Nick says:

When I was at my brew supply store, they recommend that I rehydrate the yeast first. What are your thoughts and experience for that?

• Sam says:

I have a sodastream so I made the base and added carbonated water to it. First batch didn’t have enough bite so I doubled the ginger juice. Came out perfect. Also, you don’t need an expensive juicer. I bought a black&decker for 33 bucks off of amazon and it works great. I’ve already gone through two liters the first night ( I had company over) and there are more to come. Thanks again for the recipie!

• otys says:

just tried a 400 gallon batch ,turned out beautifully(400 g is the smallest primary I have )at the 48 hour point we were at .0015% alcohol by weight you would have to drink 16 gallons in 3.5 minutes to catch a buzz good luck with that .on storage ,if you use amber glass bottles the favor will last much longer also adding ,just a pinch of cream of tartar will help to preserve your brew ,for my batch I added 2 pounds after a premix with some of the wort .also sweetening with honey instead of sucrose(store bought sugar)helps preserve it .on yeast if you propagate the yeast prior to pitching you will have better results ,in my big batch I ferment in a pressure regulated primary fermenter and keep the pressure at or below 16.5 psi then bottle it and add 5 cc of priming sugar per bottle and cap immediately store cool(68-70 degrees ) for about a week then crack the first jug and enjoy the recipe is about the same one Ive been using for the past seven years I also make a ginger mead that comes out quite well and this has alcohol content around 23 to 27 % ,more info will come at a later writing

• Benjamin says:

I love this recipe and have been trying variations. I did a batch that used grapefruit and apples and it has turned out great so far. Thinking about cardamom and coriander. maybe cloves too. We’ll see.
    Thanks Jeff!

• avont says:

What’s the shelf life of this ginger beer??

• Siggy says:

I’ve had the fermented stuff (carbonated with yeast)in a fridge for 6 months to see what would happen. It was still good, but the flavor changes. The ginger’s bite had mellowed out and it lost most of it’s sweetness. I almost prefer it, but I don’t have enough refrigerated space to age it before I drink it.

• Exploding Bottles says:

Note: the 48hr carbonation time will vary based on the temperature they are stored at during this period. If they are stored very warm, there is the possibility of bottle bombs.

This is why most people recommend using emptied 2L plastic soda bottles (so you can feel the carbonation level, and they would be less dangerous if they would explode).