Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Dave C says:

Siggy,
    That’s awesome you had the guts to take a swig after it sat for 6 months. Now I’m tempted to try it.

Jeff, thanks for providing this recipe. I’ve been playing around with it now for a year and have enjoyed the challenge of brewing a unique, complex, stand-alone beverage.

• Kevin says:

anyone have any luck kegging this? The ginger juice sediment seems to sink to the bottom, so without constant agitation the taste varies greatly depending on when its pulled from the keg. Such a great taste fresh id love to be able to use it in my bar, any advice??

• Patrick says:

I am interested in kegging it too. I want to do 3 and 5 gal batches for personal use.

For the record, Jeff’s recipe is the one being used at P.F. Changs. They make they syrup and use soda water when serving.

The variations all seem interesting with the spices because I am working on a sparkling mulled cider (non-alcoholic) for kegging. That stuff is heavenly in small batches.

I also want to work on preservation. How can I guarantee a 6-9 month shelf life on the stuff.

• Chris says:

For those of you wondering about ginger color –

Ginger, especially young ginger, contains anthocyanins, which turn pink in acid solutions and bluish in alkaline ones. (Red cabbage juice has the same stuff in it, and using different foods and household chemicals to make it change colors is a popular science experiment.)

Also, if you want a fiery ginger beer, DO NOT boil or otherwise cook your ginger; you’ll convert most of the gingerol to zingerone, which has a nice sweet-spicy fragrance but not much heat.

• Portland to Tahoe says:

It’s great to see people still following this page. I finally got the proper yeast to make this. And the herbs to make the tonic recipe you have. Can’t wait!

• Logan Reeder says:

I know this may seem like a silly question, but is this ginger beer alcoholic? I’ve had ginger beer before but it was non-alcoholic and I was wondering if this one was as well.

• Morgan says:

Hey Jeff,
    Quick question, I think I may have added the yeast to my bottles too early while it was still a bit warm. I wont know for certain til tomorrow night but in the event I did and there is no carbonation, and in turn alcohol, would it be safe to simply add the yeast granules again at that time and let them sit in a warm dark place for another two days? Or is the batch a total loss?

Thanks,
    _m

• William says:

Jeff,

I tried the ginger beer recipe with much excitement. After 48 hours, I put bottles in refridgerator and the next night opened the first bottle. Tasted great but absolutely no carbonation. I think my water was too hot when I added it to the bottles.

Can I opened the bottles now and add more yeast?

Also, your recipe calls for 25 granules of yeast per 16 oz., but later in a reply you recommended 1/8 tsp. per 32 oz. which is quite a bit more. What amount of yeast should I use and what temp should the warm water be?

Thanks

William

• Tim H. says:

My first stab at ginger beer went into a keg last night. It’s a 2 gallon batch with a starting gravity of 1.086. The goal isn’t necessarily an alcoholic brew, but I wanted to know. I used Redstar champagne yeast and its working away after 24 hrs. I’ll report back on what you can expect ABV wise… If it went all the way to 1.000, completely dry, we’d be looking at 11+%… I’ll chill it down far before then. Aiming for .5% ABV or less, still very sweet and fit for the kids.

• Tim H. says:

I would add that you may be surprised how much sugar is converted to alcohol in 2 days.
    Just checked it and by morning I expect my keg to be carbonated to about 3 volumes of CO2 (~35 psi @ 70*F), or a bit less than a German style wheat beer., I’ll be able to adjust that with my CO2 system and bottle or dispense at will.