Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1Β½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Tim H. says:

One more thing πŸ˜‰

2liter bottles can be very destructive if you make bottle bombs here. Enough sugar, and even a very small amount of yeast, or contamination in the bottle and you could literally blow a steel mail box to bits if the bottle lets go.

• Dave says:

Well, 4, 20-oz Coke bottles mixed and pitched today. The base was delicious, even unfermented. Can’t wait to taste them in a couple of days!

• Dave says:

First batch follow-up:
    Excellent flavor and carbonation!
    Perhaps a little too much ginger for our taste, so after drinking two bottles, I made a second, 2-bottle batch today, with 20% less ginger juice and 20% more sugar.
    5-star recipe!

• Greg Yohn says:

Hello,

Made 2 batches already but 2nd was too dry and had alc, so made a black and tan. Mixed ginger beer with root beer!

• Jonathan says:

I’ve been using a bit of a different process for about 6 months, but am going to try this one now.

Typically I’ve just been grating ginger and boiling that with sugar for 15+ minutes and then allowing that to cool down to a warm temperature before bottling and throwing a tsp of regular yeast on top (couldn’t get the red star here where I am overseas although i recently shipped some in). Result is a biting, very carbonated ginger drink that can be as strong or light as you want depending on the amount of ginger and as sweet as you want depending on the sugar content. I’m probably getting a different result with the boiling, but we’ve been very happy with it. I usually pour it into 1/2L plastic bottles (like Pepsi or something) and leave it on a warm window sill in the sun. Never had any problem with light, bottles are rock hard in 3-4 hours and I refrigerate them and they keep up to 10 days. After that the taste gets bitter.

I get a fair amount of sediment which doesn’t really bother me, and sometimes is TOO carbonated. I have a bottle capper, a red star yeast now so I’ll try the recipe listed here and see if the difference is nice.

Sometimes I throw half a sliced up lemon in the boil which is nice, but again I think the boiling is sometimes giving me a bitter taste.

Have had a couple bottles not carbonate, usually it’s when I don’t let it cool down enough. Other than that, no problems. Couple sprayed bystanders when the bottles were opened too fast. =)

• Belinda says:

Oh yeah baby! Delicious ginger beer! I think I read almost all of the reviews and I made this last week. The end result was delicious, no explosions, carbonation and great taste so I say it was a win, win, win.

I juiced with an electric juicer, followed the recipe exactly, and counted out every single yeast granule to make sure I had no more or less than the 25 granules of yeast. By the way 25 granules is such a small amount that it can not be measured by a teaspoon measurement no matter how small. I basically used two thin paper plates for measuring. On the first plate I dumped out some yeast from the package, way too much. I then took a knife and separated the 25 granules. Next I gently scraped off the granules onto a new clean paper plate and then folded the paper plate to tip into the mouth of the bottle funneled the granules carefully into the bottle. It really did not take that long to count out the granules but it is a pain, but no explosion was worth it!

• Al Campassi says:

I goy into Dark & Stormys when I bumped in Goslings on my try-every-rum quest. My everyday go-to uses Canada Dry Diet (OK! OK! But I like it.)

Recent golf trip to Scotland led to the discovery of Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer – like 4.9%. A great drink. Available in CA at Bevmo but filthy expensive.
    Came looking for a recipe for beer-brewing buddies and found your great site.

Passing around your recipes and the site. Thanks for this. Have put Clyde Common on must-visit list.

• Bess Storm says:

After years of experimenting, we came up with this recipe. It is very easy and only takes an overnight to be ready. The nice thing is that it is flexible, since we like to use honey or natural sweeteners.

In a glass or ceramic jar, mix
    2/3 to 3/4 cup grated ginger
    juice of 1 lime
    1 cup honey
    1 quart boiling water
    mix together and let stand until lukewarm and then add
    2 teaspons yeast that has been proofed in a half cup of lukewarm water with a tablespoon of honey

Mix and let sit at room temp for a day in glass or ceramic jar or bowl covered tightly with lid or plastic wrap.

After a day, strain and store in frig. You can store in a plastic jar but should use glass or ceramic for the brewing.

If you prefer, you can use brown sugar or agave syrup instead of honey. While you need to use a real sugar initially for the fermentation, we have had luck using Stevia for additional sweetening after brewing.

You may find you may need to add more sweetener or lime juice as your taste buds dictate. Same with the ginger, play with the amount the first few times you make it until you get the flavor to your liking. We use
    more than two thirds but less than three quarters of a cup.

Can be stored in the frig for up to a week. In theory anyway, here on our boat it is usually consumed well before that.

• caleb K says:

Ok, I am about to start making ginger beer on tap for my bar but I need a couple of questions answered first. Should I use yeast or not? How long should I let the ingredients sit before they will be ready?

• Sam says:

Caleb, If you want to talk ginger beer on tap shoot me an email. Halhuli @ gmail. I’m making it for two bars to have on draft. Ps. If you have kegs, I dont suggest using yeast!