Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Tim H. says:

No problem using yeast in a keg. I use 5 gallon ball locks and the ginger beer will carbonate nicely just like in a smaller vessel. Your fist pour will likely have some sediment unless you keep it stirred (a shake of the keg occasionally).

As a point of information, for me the shelf life has been much longer than 2 weeks.

• Tyson says:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the purpose of the lemon is? Just to weaken the ginger taste or is it to help it last longer or something?

I’ve been experimenting with the ginger/lemon ratio a lot. I’ve settled around 2.5oz ginger, 1 oz lemon, but I’m tempted to lower it to .5 or even none. I love gingery ginger beer, but wanted to see if there was a purpose to the lemon 🙂

Thanks!

• Siggy says:

Lemon juice, or citric acid in mass production, is an important flavor component in a lot of drinks, especially carbonated ones. But besides that it can influence the color of the ginger. Young ginger will get a pinkish color when put in an acidic solution, not that it matters much in the case of ginger beer.

• Seth says:

Hey guys I am currently using iSi soda siphons with 11oz. of mixture and 16 oz. of water for a total of 27 oz. of fluid in the siphon. I am using one charger and shaking once before placing the ginger beer in the fridge. When I go to use G.B. in a cocktail it is super foamy almost EVERY time. What am I doing wrong? Is the extra 5 oz. I’m not using affecting the consistency?

• Seth – Make sure your Soda Siphon is well chilled before using it. Then, shake it well after charging it. Next, turn it upside down and SLOWLY discharge the gas by pressing the lever. When the canister is de-gassed, slowly open it up and pour out perfectly carbonated, non-foamy ginger beer. The nozzle is what’s giving you all that foam.

• Steph K says:

On my second batch of ginger beer. The first was almost perfect but my simple syrup ratio was off so it wasn’t quite sweet enough. Today I’ve made a quad batch and used bottled ginger juice from The Ginger People (I don’t have a good way of pressing my own at this point, and this seems quite viable, save for the price). I am using Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast. Worked great in my last batch!

Heading down to Portland in March and we’re planning a visit to Clyde Common so I can try the real deal. 🙂

• John says:

Jeff – I really appreciate you publishing this recipe and procedure. It has got me started in brewing my own. I have to say, though, that my result was really different than what I was going for. Originally, I was craving a Reed’s Ginger Beer and didn’t want to put out the money for it. My result, at least, was closer to, very sweet, fizzy ginger lemonade. And – although it wasn’t at all what I was originally going for, and although I wouldn’t have imagined that ginger would be good in lemonade – it really is a delicious combination. But, in case someone else in the future might wonder, it’s not remotely similar to a Reed’s Ginger Beer (not that you ever said that it would be…). In retrospect, that makes sense too. It mentions right on the Reed’s bottle that cane sugar, pineapple juice, honey, lemon, lime, and ‘spices’ are involved. Next time I think I’ll head that direction (wonder which spices though?). Thanks again for getting me started!

• bob says:

i’ve done this recipe a few time. add some extra sugar, pop on an airlock and let ferment for a week or two. makes a great (and pretty strong) alcoholic ginger beer. put in a plastic soda bottle and let it self carbonate, or force carb it. it’s pretty great.

• Lee Stone says:

Came here for the ginger beer recipe. Liked it. Also enjoyed the writing.

Bookmarked.

Thanks.

• Pres Roberts says:

Just tasted our inaugural batch! It has a real nice ginger flavor, however, about 1/2″ inch of sentiment (not sure if that is normal?) It also has a light “blush” pink appearance. I followed instructions to the T using 25 grains of Red Star Champagne Yeast (purchased at local brew shoppe)but when opened, only had a minor “pfff” and there is very little fizz… Any comments? Thank you and thank you Jeffrey for sharing! Any good news on Ginger futures?

• Lana says:

Mine was very pink, Pres Roberts. I think adding lemon juice to ginger before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients pickled it, which makes it turn pink.