Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• TCed says:

Jeff, your initial recipe got me started several years ago. Now I’m making a batch every 2-3 weeks with it slightly modified. The one below is for the first time maker. For following batches, I leave 1/4 inch beer in the bottles then use that for the starter for the next batch. Here it is for about five liters:

1 gal drinking water (no chlorine)
    3 cups sugar
    1 pound ginger root
    1 lemon
    1 tablespoon crème of tarter
    1/4 package yeast(see above)
    5 one liter plastic bottles with caps

Use only the drinking water for all operations.

Mix sugar with 6 cups of water and heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.

Scrap skin off ginger root. Cut into small pieces and place in blender with 2 cups water. Blend until smooth.

Empty blender into 10 quart container. Add the sugar water. Rinse out blender and sugar container with additional water. All water should be used.

Add cream of tarter, yeast and squeeze the juice from the lemon. The lemon rind can be put in the container. Stir, cover and let set overnight in a warm place (room temperature).

Next day, strain through couple layers of cloth. Fill bottles to half inch from top or equal amount in each bottle. Squeeze air out of bottle and tighten cap.

Leave bottles at room temperature until they feel hard. Place in fridge.

Caution– if you leave the bottles out too long, they could possibly explode.

Mix with vodka for a Moscow Mule or with rum for a Dark and Stormy.

Enjoy!

• Spencer says:

@shane

re: “Hey Jeff,
    My wife and I were in Seattle last week and discovered Rachel’s Ginger Beer and couldn’t believe that Portland didn’t have places like Rachel’s. ”

Just wanted to mention there is a new brewery in Portland called Portland Ginger Brew that is making handmade, fresh, authentic ginger beer. enjoy

PortlandGingerBrew.com

• Amy says:

Hi- I am about to try my first batch, and I am wondering about altitude- I live at nearly 8000 feet. Do you think I need to make any adjustments to the recipe? I generally do when baking.

• Mary says:

No Amy, you don’t really. I live up at 6600 feet and haven’t had any problems so far. I do make sure the ginger taste is where I want it.

This is how I approach it: I chop my ginger (unpeeled because I’m lazy and I hate peeling ginger) in my Cuisinart then put it in a fine strainer lined with cheesecloth and squeeze the juice out. Make the syrup, then when filling the bottles I make sure I use one plastic soda bottle. This is my test bottle. I check them after 48 hours and if this bottle is hard to squeeze I know the carbonation has worked. Good luck and have fun with it!

• jonatan says:

Couple of notes on things I’ve discovered while experimenting:

Ginger Juice: I take fresh ginger, peel, chop into small pieces and then place it in the blender and fill with water up to the level of the ginger and blend 20-30 seconds and strain off all solids with a fine mesh strainer and compress with a big spoon to get everything out of it. Cheese cloth would work better probably. This leaves me with a very hot “ginger juice” that is slightly watered down yes, but not much and the blender handles it wonderfully. Store in your fridge 1-2 weeks maybe, I always use mine up before. If you leave it too long it looses a bit of its fresh citrus zing.

I mix then directly 1-2oz juice with 1oz simple syrup and a dash of lemon or lime juice and top with soda water as I have a co2 tank at home for making sparkling water.

The same in a bottle with ~ 20 grains of champagne yeast and stored in a warm dark place does great too, leave it for about 48 hours and adjust sugar in the mix to your liking. In 48 hours the yeast will NOT eat up all your sugar, there will still be a lot of sweetness. Full sugar burn off would take maybe 14 days in a container with an air lock but then you’d have real beer. =)

I do glass bottles and refrigerate after 48 hours. Don’t go longer. I had two explode in the closet. And this is on 20 grains of yeast, a quarter tablespoon and you’ll be at glass capacity way faster, not recommended. Actually I don’t recommend glass at all unless you watch carefully and know the risks.

Next I’m going to experiment with the following:

— Taking ginger juice straight to a sugar syrup so I can fill a bottle with water, drop in the syrup and some yeast grains and cap. Very fast.

— Black pepper and red pepper experiments

Limitless varieties =)

• jonatan says:

I have done the same 48 hour fermentation/yeast carbonation with apple juice and cranberry juice with great results. Moving on to an airlock system to allow for longer fermentation times and higher ABV%.

But I do recommend the chopping small cubes of ginger and blending with water level matching ginger height. Have had great success and then no stovetop mess at all. When I have friends over I just throw shots of ginger juice and simple syrup into sparkling water for instant fresh ginger ale.

• zac says:

I LOVE IT

• Charlie says:

Notes on my attempt:
    1. Threw ginger into a food processor without trimming, pealing, ect. and wrung the resulting pulp out with cheesecloth to great sucess.
    2. Ended up boiling all the ingredients (sans yeast) to kill off any wayward bacteria and cooling it down with a wort chiller, then added yeast.

I’m still waiting on my carbonation, but the juice and yeast mixture tastes great.

• Jonathan says:

RE: CHARLIE

Your cheese cloth idea sounds great. I’ve been pressing mine through a strainer a few times to try to get the fine bits out.

When you boiled it, how much water to ginger did you use? I try to stay away from boiling as it gives a different flavor, fresh has been nice and citrusy for me. But I love different recipes.

I peel and blend and press which gives me a bright yellow juice and then I make a syrup with this as it keeps longer. Then into the bottles with yeast. I heat the ingredients to near boiling to make the syrup and that’s enough for me. Also since it goes into the fridge after 3 days and is drank quickly after that I don’t worry about anything growing.

I was at 48 hours fermentation, but upped it to 72 when I got some new heavy duty flip top bottles. Superb results.

I used a darker sugar this last batch and it turned out great, nice and rich.

Next plan is to make it more like a beer, long fermentation process to get the abv up to ~ 5% and yea, basically make it like one would make a beer. Will probably be drier but should be good.

• Blue Iguana says:

2016 & this thread is still going.

Making our first batch today, direct into glass bottles. I see most use plastic. Was bemused by the “25 granules of yeast”. I’ve watched vegans count lentils before, I just went for the teaspoon measuring approach!

I am making notes in a google doc and will share if requested.

G&E