Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Matthew says:

Do you have any tips on creating a beverage of such simplicity but with a significant amount of ABV?

• Matt – Thanks, brother!

Matthew – I don’t have any tips on making an alcoholic ginger brew, I’m sorry. However, if you head to your local homebrew shop, I’m sure they can help you out.

• DG says:

Matthew – I’m about to try my first batch of alcoholic ginger beer. I am planning on making my ginger syrup and allowing it to ferment in a one gallon carboy with an airlock until it reaches the desired ABV, probably around 5-5.5% (about 1 week). After it reaches that point, refrigerate until the yeast has fallen out of suspension, siphon into another container, innoculate with more sugar, bottle, and let sit at room temp for another week to carbonize. If you’re interested for more info, let me know and I’ll try to pass on specifics. You just don’t want to try to get a higher ABV in sealed containers unless you want a gingery mess in your house and a trip to the emergency room.
    -David

• joanne says:

Thanks for the great recipe.

My boyfriend just got back from a boat delivery from Boston to Bermuda. It was rough going, but they all made it safe and sound. For treats on thier arrival, sitting back in the yacht club were numerous rounds of dark and stormies.

The Gosling Black Seal rum made it back to Canada, but there is a definite scarcity of gingerbeer to be found around here. As a kid, it was popular and we had it all the time, but times and tastes change. I still love the stuff so I will be making many batches of your recipe.

Thanks once again.

• Lindsey says:

hola,
    we’re in the process of making our first batch ~

1.) 25 granules? seriously? like, 25 of those tiny little yeast granules? Then in another reply you say to use 1/8 tsp. yeast for 32 ounces. 25 granules does not equal 1/16 tsp. by my measurements. help?

2.) temp of the “warm” water seems to be important. 100 degrees for the Red Star Premier Cuvee? or 85? Which is it?

Hopefully this first batch comes out right, but if anyone can help me here I would definitely appreciate it!

Thanks.

• Roger says:

I really liked the recipe (used the siphon for the first try but will try brewing in the future).

One even easier option: omit the 10 ounces of plain water and then add carbonated water when you are ready to drink it. this carbonated water can come from a soda siphon or just from store bought soda water (if you don’t have a siphon). This provides instant gratification. It is better than putting the ingredients in the siphon since you don’t have to pore the ingredients into the soda siphon which was a hassle and you don’t have to clean the soda siphon after each use.

• You inspired me to give this a shot with the ginger syrup I’ve been making for awhile. I just made ginger syrup, added some lime juice, a bit of water to make it less, well, syrupy and some other odds and ends (each batch has been a little different) and some plain old bread yeast. After two days in the cupboard (the bottle, not me) I was rewarded with a very satisfying POP and some hot n spicy ginger beer, followed closely by several Moscow Mules.

Thanks man, Cheers

• Alan says:

Jeff, do you know how much alcohol is in one of these? I am going to assume around 4%, as most ginger beers seem to have that much in them.

• Alan – I can’t truly tell you the alcohol content but I’m going to assume it’s far, far less than 4% as I don’t think there’s time to build up to that percentage in 48 hours. Just a guess, though.

• Alan says:

I did some research and it seems you are right. Do you think I could leave it in there for longer, so it builds up a higher percentage?