Peel and juice your ginger. I find that 1Β½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.

• Daniil says:

Is it OK if this ‘beer’ is much more transparent than on your shots and there is smth like 0.5cm of ginger ‘mixture’ at the bottom?

• Daniil says:

What would be perfect if someone could make a visual representation of how much yeast is required to produce a decent beer, my bottles are around a second day and no carbonation is present πŸ™

• Eric says:

What should we do if we know we added too much yeast?

• Danill and Eric – If you didn’t add enough yeast, add more and wait another 48 hours. If you added too much, keep a close eye on it and release the pressure from time to time if you can. You’ll be fine either way.

• William says:

Wow, I’m excited. I just went out and got some flip top glass bottles today. Do you think that using a plastic bottle as a test would be a good idea? I guess it would give me a good idea of how much pressure is building up in the glass bottle. I got the cuvee yeast, as well as a white wine yeast that the guy in the brew store said a lot of people use. I’m gonna make two with each kind of yeast. I can’t wait!

• William says:

I forgot to put this in my previous question, but how much sediment occurs with the 25 granule method?

• Benjamin says:

Jeff, just started a 32oz batch today, I can’t wait till it’s done. I had a few questions though… First was on the yeast content, it seems to be the most mysterious question, main reason why I am concerned is because I don’t want my flip-top exploding on me. I counted out 50 granules the best I could and that is very little… I put the granules in 1/8 tsp. and it doesn’t even cover the bottom of the spoon. I would say that if I were to use a full 1/8 tsp. it would probably be more in the range of 1000 or more granules.

Also you had mentioned that you would probably try to use cream of tartar in your next batch, have you tied it yet, and how much would you use? Thanks

• Benjamin says:

Oh yeah, and is there some kind of visual I will see to confirm it’s ready or that it’s carbonating? I’m fairly new at this but have heard of this happening with similar things like Kombucha tea…

• My first attempt at this recipe is (hopefully) bubbling away beneath the sink. Having made it, I just have one question – to wit: how the f#^k do you get “approximately 25 granules” of the yeast. My standard kitchen equipment does not include tweezers and a giant light/magnifying glass combo, nor am I dextrous enough to use them if I had them. Do you eyeball it? Use some minuscule fraction of a teaspoon? Do you have a sensitive scale? What’s the deal? Thanks for the recipe, I’m looking forward to homemade gingery goodness.

• Christine says:

SUCH a good idea – my husband brought Goslings home from last years Newport-to-Bermuda race.

… whipped up a batch on Tuesday (and was easy enough that my handy 6-year-old helped). Was shocked it actually fermented, as those bottles look REALLY inactive for 48 hours, but cracked on open and FIZZZZ.

A bit lemony for my taste? Used lemon and lime juice (per recipe) so I’ll probably cut that down a bit for the next batch.

Definitely going to try some thyme and vanilla (hoping the ginger doesn’t overpower?). Thanks for the recipe!