Southbound Suarez

Man, there are few things out there more polarizing to people than creamy drinks. And it’s funny, you know, because I think it’s a pretty universal thing that our mouths just water at the sight of a creamy cocktail. Look at a properly made Ramos Gin Fizz. Or a White Russian. Or Egg Nog. How delicious do they look?

But then there’s this guilty feeling that I think kicks in for most people, where it’s like, “I can’t justify drinking something that contains a bunch of fucking cream.” And I get it, I totally do. Personally, I also try to save up those points and spend them during the holidays.

But there’s no getting around the delicious factor. So what about alternatives? I like almond milk in my coffee. I even make my own at home. But one creamy substitute that I can’t live without in my life is horchata. See the previous post for more on that. Anyway, as someone who has been making drinks for almost half of his life at this point, I had to try making something with horchata.

My partner in crime at Clyde Common is a gentleman named Benjamin Amberg. But we all call him (among other things), simply Banjo. Banjo and I have a great way of working on cocktails together. It’s very collaborative, and nobody gets too attached to an idea if a better one comes along. (I wrote more about this process for Playboy, check it out)

And so it happened that we started working on our new horchata cocktail. And, of course, we broke out all of the typical formulas that we’d both seen on menus before: aged rum and horchata; aged tequila and horchata; variations on a White Russian with horchata instead of cream. And none of them were working, and we were about to scrap the whole idea.

But then we had a thought: what if instead of a flabby, creamy drink, we did something more bright and citrusy? We certainly hadn’t seen that done before, and we know rice milk isn’t going to curdle the way cream would. And suddenly, within minutes, we’d assembled what is quickly becoming one of our most popular new drinks, the Southbound Suarez. Named after our favorite song on our least favorite Led Zeppelin album, I like to think the same stands of a reminder of just how tough this one was to create.

Southbound Suarez Print Me

• 1½ oz. reposado tequila
  • ½ oz. agave syrup
  • ½ oz. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. Becherovka
  • 1½ oz horchata
  1. Combine ingredients with ice cubes and shake until cold. Strain over fresh ice in an Old Fashioned glass and garnish with a lime wedge.

19 Replies to “Southbound Suarez”

• Paddy says:

Just happened to pick up a bottle of Becherovka this weekend. I never dreamed it would be part of such a fabulous cocktail.

• Peter Hanratty says:

Jeffrey,

Any thought on using RumChata for this recipe? Any appropriate substitutions for the Becherovka that may be more readily available?

Thanks

• Jeff Ferguson says:

So, a Czech digestive mixed in with primarily Hispanic flavors? I’m sure it works, but feels like how everyone added St. Germain (“keychup”) to everything a few years back. Nothing from the same region that fits?

• Jeffrey Morgenthaler says:

Not every ingredient has to come from the same culture, there, dude. The cinnamon and clove in the Becherovka are what work best with horchata. Have you actually tried the drink?

• Craig Stansbury says:

Hey Jeffrey,
    Huge fan. My wife bought me “The Bar Book” for my birthday on Saturday, and I am almost already through it. We were actually at Clyde Common in early June this year and of all the cocktails we tried there (and the rest of Portland), this was my absolute favorite. I am so happy to have the recipe, and I will be going to get the bottle of Becherovka and ingredients to make the Horchata. Thanks again for posting this, and hopefully the next time we travel to Portland I can swing by and get an autograph for my book. Keep up the great work!

• Craig Stansbury says:

Hey Jeffrey,
    I am a huge fan. My wife bought me “The Bar Book” for my birthday on Saturday, and I am almost already through it. We were actually at Clyde Common in early June this year and of all the cocktails we tried there (and the rest of Portland), this was my absolute favorite. I am so happy to have the recipe, and I will be going to get the bottle of Becherovka and ingredients to make the Horchata. Thanks again for posting this, and hopefully the next time we travel to Portland I can swing by and get an autograph for my book. Keep up the great work!